Sunday, April 26, 2009

La Última Semana

Since we came home from all of our traveling, the weeks have flown by. It seems that time has been racing by as we get nearer and nearer to heading home. In less than a week, I'll be back in America. I can't wait to be back, but I thought I'd give at least one more update on my life in Spain before getting back to see everyone I've missed so much.

Getting back into the swing of things after spring break was a little tough. After all that traveling, these last three weeks of school weren't at the top of my priority list. However, we've all put our noses back to the grindstone for the last bit of the semester. This coming week we'll have finals, and we've had a couple papers too, but nothing too rough. My focus has mostly been seeing the sights of Madrid, revisiting all of my favorite spots, and enjoying Spain for all it's worth.

Our friend Ally, on spring break from her semester in London, spent a weekend in Madrid, and it was great to have her around. Nights out, showing her the city, and making sure she experienced things like tapas and sangria were a must. By the time she returned to London, life in Madrid had settled back to normal. In true Spanish fashion, the Wesleyan students here have been making an effort spend as much time out on the town as possible. I even stayed out until 4 am one night, visiting "discotecas" with friends. To be honest, Madrid nightlife isn't really my style, but it's an expected part of the culture, and I thought I should sample it. It's funny how much Madrileños really embrace going out. Even my elderly Señora seems shocked when we get home before 1 am, and encourages us to go out all the time.

I think it's these little things I'll miss the most about Spain. There are so many small quirks I've come to embrace about the culture and the city of Madrid. I thought it might be fun to look back and remember some of them. It's all the little things like:
-the sound of the loudspeakers on the metro saying "El próximo estación..." and the annoying street musicians in the train cars
-Isabel's insistence that we eat second, third, and fourth helpings at dinner
-my church that I've been attending here in Madrid
-the friendly doorman at our apartment building
-the way people in Madrid seem to be constantly walking their dogs, especially in Retiro park
-eating bread with every meal, and fruit for dessert
-the way everything is cooked with olive oil and fresh garlic over here
-people you barely know greeting you with a kiss on each cheek
-people driving motorcycles on the sidewalks, and just driving crazily in general
-terribly grumpy waiters who laugh at you when you try to speak their language
-the way everyone bundles up completely and has umbrellas out at the slightest sign of rain, snow, cool weather, or even fog
-chocolate y churros, café con leche, and milk that comes in boxes and is kept on the cabinet
-the way no one in Spain has dryers and the laundry is always hanging off the balconies
-hearing the Spanish kids speak better than I do, even after four months, about things like Ratoncito Perez (he's a mouse who is the Spanish version of the tooth fairy)

...and so many other things!

So, as I wrap up this last weekend in Spain, I'm looking back and loving the fun and great opportunities I've had. At the same time, I can't wait to be home. I've been missing everyone a lot, and I'll see you all soon! Hasta luego...

No comments:

Post a Comment