Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mi Madre y Tia Vinieron a Madrid

It seems as though I haven't written in forever, and there's a lot to catch up on before I head off on Friday for ten days in Germany and Italy. I've spent a lot of time in Madrid recently, but it's certainly been busy. Teachers are throwing a lot of work in our direction as the semester nears its end, but more importantly a couple weekends ago, I had visitors!

My mom and Aunt Susan came to see me for five days, and it was a blast. I really enjoyed showing them around, and sharing a lot of the things I've learned about Spanish culture and life with them. After picking them up at the airport, we started with a lunch with my Senora, Isabel. She made roasted lamb, a traditional dish from her hometown, Segovia. It was seriously a feast. It was also wonderful to show them where I live and introduce my Spanish "mom" to my real one. Afterward, although they were jet-lagged and stuffed full of food, I kept them busy all day. We walked to Retiro Park, checked out the Fundacion where I attend school, and saw all the major sights of Old Madrid: Plaza Mayor, Puerta del Sol, etc. That night, we got some cokes on a terrace in Plaza Santo Domingo, near their hotel, and then attempted to have a tapas meal. Although tapas are a traditional part of Spanish cuisine, none of the nearby restaurants were too cooperative. We still managed to have some good food and a good time, although I frustrated a waitress or two with my interesting Spanish skills. Either way, it was fun to start teaching them about the great food and wine Spain has to offer.

Friday morning, all rested up, we set out for our big day of Madrid tourism. Our first stop was Plaza de Oriente, to see the beautiful gardens and royal theater. We then went to Palacio Real (the Royal Palace). It had beautiful rooms and art, and was one of my favorites that I've seen here in Europe. Then, we toured the more modern Cathedral nearby, and went up in the dome for a view of the city. Afterwards, we walked back to Plaza Mayor for some souvenir shopping, and we also got a few bocadillos (Spanish sandwiches), which later became our picnic lunch near the Prado. The weather was gorgeous all weekend, so we enjoyed walking around the city and soaking up the sun. After lunch, we the Prado, the most famous of Spain's three major art museums. We rested up in the evening, and went out that night for a traditionally late Spanish dinner, followed by a flamenco show. I enjoyed the show a lot, especially as it was the second one I'd seen and I had opportunity to compare it to the one in Sevilla. It was slightly more modern, and mixed some blues or jazz influence with the traditional flamenco. I was very glad my mom and aunt got the opportunity to see this important part of Spanish culture, not to mention trying the Sangria that came with the show.

Our day Saturday was a great one as well. We took a day trip to Toledo, and I think we all enjoyed getting out of the big city and seeing a more traditional Spanish town. We saw Toledo's beautiful cathedral, did lots of shopping, and went to the Monasterio de San Juan de los Reyes. I also got to show them where I had lived during my first few days in Spain, when the Fundacion brought us to Toledo for orientation. For lunch, we tried paella, a traditional Spanish dish with rice and seafood. We also walked along a river trail in the evening, stopping for a picnic dinner along the historical "Don Quixote Route."

Sunday, back in Madrid, we went to my usual church, and then to El Rastro, Madrid's big marketplace. That afternoon, we another important part of Spanish culture, a bullfight. While it was interesting to see, I wasn't sure I enjoyed the bullfight. It was certainly a cultural experience, but not quite what I expected. In the end, it wasn't as impressive as I'd expected, and I couldn't quite see the point. Still, I was very glad to have seen it.

Sunday was an exciting day for another reason as well. We received an email in the morning, letting us know that my brother, Mark, was now engaged to his wonderful girlfriend, Emili. Although we wished we could be there to celebrate in person, we were very glad for him!

Our last day together, Monday, was one on which we headed out of the city again. We took a train up to the little mountain city of Cercedilla, where a professor had recommended some hiking trails. The pine forests and mountain streams, as well as the beautiful views of the peaks, made this day my favorite. We enjoyed a picnic lunch and a full day of sunshine and fresh air. Upon returning to Madrid, we had a nice dinner on Plaza Mayor, stopped in a couple more stores for shopping, and then headed back to the hotel. I had purchased some authentic cava (Spanish sparkling wine) in Barcelona, in order to celebrate their visit, so we spent the evening chatting and drinking it. It was a perfect closing to a great weekend. I loved getting to spend time with both my mom and my aunt, and was so thankful they got to make the trip over here and experience this great country. As I looked at it once again from a foreigner's perspective through their eyes, I realized that I've grown to really love Spain, and to know and understand it more than I imagined I would.

Seeing them definitely also made me anticipate coming home all the more. I haven't been too homesick, but I miss all the wonderful people that make my life so great. It's hard to believe that I'll be home now in less than a month. With a trip to Germany and Italy starting tomorrow, the beginning of April will fly by. After that, a few short weeks, and my time in Spain will draw to a close. It's hard to believe it's gone so quickly, but I can't wait to see everyone. Until then, I'll just say that I miss everyone, and I wish all a very happy and blessed Easter! I'm looking forward, in the midst of all of these travels, to celebrating the joy of the Resurrection that I share with family and friends, no matter how near or far they happen to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment